Care of Homeless Patients

Homeless people may find it difficult to access healthcare services, therefore GP practices have a responsibility to register people who:

  • are homeless
  • have no fixed abode
  • are legitimately unable to provide documentation living within their catchment area.

Homeless patients are entitled to register with a GP using a temporary address. This may be a friend's address or a day centre. They can also use the practice address to register.

If at all possible, the Practice should try to have a way to contact the patient (for example with test results).

Coleridge Medical Centre may refer homeless patients into different clinical settings in line with local arrangements if:

  • it is in the patient’s best interests,
  • the patient agrees.

Crisis UK

Crisis work side by side with people to help them rebuild their lives. From decades of experience of working with thousands of homeless people, they know what's needed to leave homelessness behind for good. Crisis use this experience to shape the services they provide and the changes they campaign for.

Telephone: 08000 384838




Shelter's advice and support services offer one-to-one, personalised help with housing issues and homelessness.

Their website offers expert information about everything from reclaiming a deposit, to applying as homeless. Shelter also offer free legal advice, and they will attend court to help people who've lost their homes or are facing eviction.

Telephone: 0808 800 4444


St Petrocks

St Petrocks is the homelessness charity local to Ottery St Mary.

The St Petrock's support workers can meet sleepers at their usual street locations or at an agreed safe place to talk about accommodation and support option.

Telephone: 01392 284287



If you see a rough sleeper in your local area, or you have concerns about people sleeping rough or using the streets in such a way, you can send an alert to Streetlink. The details you provide are sent to the local authority or outreach service for the area in which you have seen the person, to help them find the individual and connect them to support.It is important to note that if you think the person you are concerned about is under 18 please do not contact StreetLink but instead call the police.