In all cases please telephone us, preferably in the afternoon to check your own results. If you telephone later in the day not only are our phone lines less busy but also your doctor will have had more time to review your results. Medical information and test results will only be given to the patient and only with the doctor's permission.
You do not usually need to speak to your doctor as they will leave a simple message to be passed on to you. This will either be “test results satisfactory, no further action” or “ask patient to speak to doctor”. There is usually no urgency to do this and it generally means there is a need for some further discussion or to agree a plan of action, it does not necessarily mean there is any bad news.
Before speaking to us, please allow at least:
- 3 working days for most blood and urine samples. Samples to virology can take longer
- 7 working days for stool samples
- 10 working days for biopsies and surgical specimens
If we do a swab test or you are given a swab test to do at home, please allow 3 working days before telephoning for your results.
For x-ray results please allow 10 working days.
If you are asked to provide a sample and for the health and safety of our staff:
- Put your sample in a clean, sealed container
- Clearly label the container with your name, date of birth and GP’s name
- Put the container into a plastic bag
- Hand deliver it to a receptionist before 12:00 noon as all samples are collected by courier at 1230 each day for processing at the laboratory in Exeter
- Make a note to contact us to obtain the results